Solution-focused approach to bereavement
About this event
This training workshop will look at how to support children, young people and their families experiencing bereavement using a solution-focused approach.
It is suitable for those who work directly with children, young people and families and who are willing to have supportive conversations around their bereavement needs.
- Understanding the solution-focused principles and techniques involved in providing support
- Applying the principles and techniques within a framework of healthy grieving
- Describing a variety of models of grief
- Understanding the physical, emotional and cognitive impact of grief
- Begin practising the techniques with other participants drawing upon their own personal or professional experiences.
Note of participant safety and understanding of course expectations
Participants in this course will be encouraged to share responsibly and safely their personal and/or professional experiences of grief in order to support their own and other's learning. Participants must therefore be able to accept this as part of the course expectations.
Participants will be working as part of the whole group of no more than 16 people as well as in pairs and triads.
*While there is an expectation that you share aspects of your personal and/or professional grief experiences, it is left to your discretion as to how much you wish to share.
Steve Sweeney is a qualified social worker who has specialised in trauma and grief since he developed the Barnardo’s Rollercoaster Service in 2003. Steve provides direct support to children and families through a variety of interventions including Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR).