Family engagement for improvement
About this event
This training will look in detail at how effective family engagement can feed into School Improvement Planning processes and improve outcomes for children, young people and their families. It is designed to support classroom teachers and senior staff within schools to develop engagement strategies which build capacity and strengthen collaborative working, and will equip delegates with a range of useful research references, practical resources and materials.
- Review current legislation, policy and research on family engagement and reflect on own practice
- Identify the factors that affect relationships between families and the school community
- Understand the types of engagement with families and prioritise areas for improvement
- Align family engagement with school improvement approaches and develop criteria to evaluate the action proposed.
Connect (formerly Scottish Parent Teacher Council) works with parents and schools to make parental engagement as good as it can be. It combines the knowledge, skills and experience from a range of collaborative work to create a number of professional learning opportunities in the following areas:
1. Working with Your Parent Council
2. Engaging Families in Children’s Education
3. Family Engagement for School Improvement
Its workshops are designed to provide explicit opportunities for differentiation based on local challenges. Each group of delegates is encouraged to bring their own experiences and the contexts in which they work in order to shape the focus of the session and ensure a tailored approach.